Dalco Roofing & Sheet Metal, Inc. began in 1945 as a "family" operation. David J. and Lydia A. Dalbec were its proprietors, and the letters D.A.L.C.O., were to symbolize "David and Lydia's Company". Dalco's first shop was located in south Minneapolis and consisted of a 1000 square foot wood frame building with a store front office used to display the various sheet metal applications they had created.
David Sr. studied sheet metal fabrication at Dunwoody Institute in his early years, and Lydia studied accounting and secretarial skills at night school to perfect her business acumen in their venture.
Initially the primary focus was sheet metal and they recruited one other shop employee to be the primary fabricator for residential and commercial roofing projects. David Sr. was adept at fabricating, installing and estimating sheet metal jobs.
In 1954, they built a new 3000 square foot office/shop/warehouse to allow for expansion of their business. This production facility was built on a commercial lot of in south Minneapolis.
David Dalbec, Jr. became active in the business during high school and returned in 1966 after serving in the Army for two years. He worked as an estimator and completed his formal training at Dunwoody Institute. His knowledge and background made him a key employee in the business and allowed the company to expand into commercial roofing.
In 1968, he purchased an interest in Davy J. Roofing, a small roofing company, and added 3000 square feet to the existing facility to accommodate this new phase of the operation. By 1976, Davy J. Roofing was running three full crews and the partners sold their interest to David J. Dalbec, Jr. He then started roofing crews with Dalco combining the roofing and sheet metal business successfully under one roof.
In 1978, Dalco built a new 15,000 square foot facility on 3+ acres in Plymouth, Minnesota. David Jr. became the president of the corporation and worked in full unison with his parents in all aspects of the company's operations. Lydia and Dave Sr. remained as full-time key employees until their deaths in 1986 & 1987, respectively.
The most recent expansion of the business facility occurred in 1997. The building size doubled to 30,000 sq. ft. at that time.
The current office and sales staff consists of 30 employees, sheet metal production department of approximately 30 - 50 employees, and roofing and mechanical staff of 70 - 100 employees depending on the seasonal backlog of work. At peak season, maximum employees on payroll have reached approximately 150.
Dalco Roofing has successfully completed thousands of projects since 1945. The firm has received numerous awards for their skill and professionalism on many roofing, waterproofing, and sheet metal projects.